Deadline to Apply: Monday, September 7th
Purpose And Eligibility:
The Legacy Awards Scholarship was created to honor and remember the legacy of Chican@ Latin@ Alumni trailblazers who paved the path for current and future generations of Chican@s and Latin@s to attend and thrive at Cal. In a collective effort, the five chapters of the Chican@ Latin@ Alumni Association (CLAA): Northern California, Sacramento, Central Valley, Southern California, and San Diego, raised $35,000 in funds to give back in scholarships to current graduate and undergraduate Chican@/Latin@ students.
This competitive Legacy Awards Scholarship seeks to recognize Chican@/Latin@ students who are currently matriculated full-time as undergraduate, graduate, or professional students at UC Berkeley. Scholarship recipients will demonstrate financial need, we well as outstanding academic and personal accomplishment. Undocumented students, first-time freshman, and transfer students with proven funding gaps are encouraged to apply.
Please complete this application and upload the 3 following materials:
- Essay of no more than two pages in length that describes your personal background, explains what it means to you to be a Chican@/Latin@ student at Cal, and how you plan to give back to your Chican@/Latin@ community after graduating from UC Berkeley.
- Resume that reflects your experience with community service, leadership roles, employment, and skills
- Copy of financial aid offer letter
Selection And Awards:
A selection committee comprised of the five chapter chairs of CLAA and UC Berkeley staff will verify enrollment and financial need with campus departments, and will verify applications based on the following criteria:
- Full-time matriculation or reduced course load with college approval at UC Berkeley
- Demonstrated financial need
- Completeness and quality of application
The UC Berkeley Chican@/Latin@ Alumni Celebration will award $35,000 in scholarship funds ranging from $500 to $1,000 to selected recipients.
These awards will be presented at the Honorando Nuestr@s Primeros Os@s: Scholarship Awards Brunch on Sunday, September 20th from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Alumni House.